I teach my first online class tonight. (Actually, it’s just a mini-class.) Here’s what I expect.
- Some feature on the learning management system won’t work when I want it to, and I’ll fly into a millisecond of techno-rage in which I secretly wish the developer of the LMS bodily harm for making my life miserable. And then I’ll get over it.
- The time it takes for the first virtual hand to go up after I’ve posed a question to the class will feel like an eternity.
- I’ll be self-conscious about my appearance on the video camera, but will try not to let on.
- I’ll forget to read the student comments accumulating in the chatbox.
- I will love being able to send students off to watch videos, take online surveys, and browse websites without the hassle of projectors, dubious classroom web connectivity, or sending everyone to the computer lab.
Borrow and share lesson ideas with other instructors or make a comment.